Seductive Lips: DIY Roll-On Lip Gloss
When I’m about to embark on a summer adventure, I always do the final check before walking out the door—keys, wallet, water, and lip balm. Being ill-equipped with any of these staples puts a real damper on my ability to take impromptu diversions on the roads less traveled. I appreciate the ability to move with fluidity while on my outdoor excursions, but I don’t enjoy it when my lip balm embodies that sentiment, too—I needed a solution to prevent my beloved lip assistant from melting in my car, backpack, or pocket. And further, I needed my non-melting lip balm to still work effectively! Then I had a light bulb moment; a roll-top bottle would work wonderfully for this purpose!
Now all I needed was a recipe to make this idea a home run. Adding easily absorbed jojoba oil with a touch of the rich and longer-lasting hydration of shea butter, this lip shine checks all the boxes of a perfect lip balm, in my book.
Hopefully, this DIY vegan solution will take away the worry of a balmy mess, so you can enjoy your newly discovered path and all of the flora and fauna that inhabit it.
Vegan Roll-On Lip Gloss Recipe
Makes about five 10 ml. bottles
- 3 tbsp. organic jojoba oil
- 1 tbsp. organic refined shea butter
- 2 drops Non-GMO Verified Vitamin E oil
- 1-2 drops organic basil essential oil (or organic essential oil of choice), optional
- 10 organic rose buds
- Set a glass bowl, glass measuring cup, or double boiler insert over a pan of water to create a double boiler.
- Combine jojoba oil and shea butter in vessel. Heat over simmering water, mixing regularly, until melted and blended together.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in vitamin E and essential oils, if using.
- Drop 2 rose buds (or botanical of choice) into each roll top bottle.
- Pour mixture into bottles and secure lid when fully cooled.
- Shake before use, and enjoy!
- This recipe was created with warm weather in mind and will not be as liquified when cold. However, it’s been perfect when stored in my pocket, even when the days get a bit nippier.
- If you choose another essential oil besides sweet, summery basil, you will want to avoid oils that are known to be phototoxic, like citrus.