How Do You Make A Herbal Pillow
The practice of placing herbs under one’s pillow dates back centuries and was originally thought to protect against evil, bring good dreams, calm bad dreams, foresee the future, or even conjure a lover into one’s life! No matter the reason, herbal pillows are an easy way to help promote peaceful sleep and encourage dreaming. These pillows are simple to prepare and make a wonderful “crafternoon” with your friends or family. The first step is to create your botanical blend from the lists below or craft your own mixture with fragrant herbs that you find pleasant, calming, or relaxing. Be sure to take notes as you build your blend so you’ll be able to make it again!
DIY Sleep Pillows
The key is to fill your pillows with relaxing aromas that stimulate the senses but don’t overdo it. Stay away from spicy herbs like peppers. Floral aromas are more calming and less likely to bother the senses throughout your restful slumber. Choose a combination of these brightly scented herbs:
- Organic Catnip
- Organic Chamomile
- Organic Hops
- Organic Lavender
- Organic Lemon Balm
- Organic Rose petals or whole buds
- Organic Rosemary
- Organic Cloves
- Organic Lemon Verbena
- Organic Mugwort
- Organic Peppermint or Organic Spearmint
You can also incorporate some of your favorite essential oils, in small doses, to your herbal blend before putting the herbs into your pillows.
Essential oils to try:
- Organic clove bud
- Organic sweet marjoram
- Organic lavender
- Rose absolute
- Organic Peru Balsam
- Organic black spruce
How to Make Herbal Pillows:
- Mix together your selected herbs in a large bowl.
- If you chose to use essential oils, add one drop at a time and mix well with a spoon, fork, or whisk, adding oil drop-by-drop as needed.
- Using a spoon, scoop your herbal pillow blend into a large muslin bag.
- Secure tightly.
- Place underneath, inside, or beside your pillow before bedtime, and rest easy.